Difference between RAM and ROM:
- Random access memory(RAM) is used to store the programs and data being used by the CPU in real-time. The data on the random access memory can be read, written and erased any number of times. RAM is a hardware element where the date being currently used in stored. It is a volatile memory.
- They are two types of RAM:
- Static ram, or (SRAM) which stores a bit of data using the state of a six transistor memory cell.
- Dynamic ram, or(DRAM) , which stores a bit data using a pair of transistor and capacitor which constitute a DRAM memory cell.
- Ram is a volatile memory which could store the date as long as the power is supplied. The data stored in ram can be retrieved and altered. It is used to store the data tha has to be currently processed by cpu temporarily. The ram is a high speed memory. The cpu can access the data stored on it. It is size larger with higher capacity. It used as in cpu cache and primary memory. The accessibility of ram is data stored is easily accessible. the cost of the ram is costlier.
- Rom is a type of memory where the data has been prerecorded. Data stored in rom is retained even after the computer is turned off ie, non-volatile. Types of rom:
- Programmable rom, where the data is written after the memory has been created. it is non-volatile
- Erasable programmable rom where the data on this non-volatile memory chip can be erased by exposing it to high intensity uv light.
- Electrically erasable programmable rom, where the dat on this non volatile meory can be electrically eroased using field electron emission.
- Mask rom in which the datais written during the manufacturing of the memory chip.
- Rom is a non volatile memory which could retain the data even when power is turned off. Data stored in rom can only be read. It stores the instructions required during bootstrap of the computer. It is much slower than the ram. The cpu can not access the data stored on it unless the data is stored in ram.
- The small size with less capacity. The firmware , micro controllers are used in rom. The accessibility of rom the data stored is not as easily accessible as in ram. The cost of the rom is much cheaper than the