Difference Between Distance and Displacement
- Distance is the complete length of the path between any two points is called distance. The denation of distance is d. to calculate the direction is not considered. The quantity of the distance as it only depends upon the magnitude and not the direction. Distance gives the detailed route information that is followed while travelling from one point to another.
- The formula of the distance = speed*time. The distance can only have positive values. The distance is not indicated with an arrow. The distance can be measure by along a non-straight path. Distance depends upon the path it changes according to the path taken.
Properties of distance
There can be so many properties of distance. Some of them are listed below:
1. Distance is a scalar quantity.
2. Distance is path- dependent
3. The distance is symmetric ,etc.
- The definition of displacement is nothing but the shortest path covered by a body during its motion. One can also say that displacement is the shortest length of a path taken by a body from one point to another.
- It tells us that how far out of place a body is from its original position. And, since it is a vector quantity therefore as a result, to calculate displacement the direction of the motion has to be considered.
- The S.I unit of displacement is meter. And it is denoted by “s”. just because it is a vector quantity , displacement is always indicated with an arrow.
- Displacement is the shorest path covered by a body during its motion . displacement is a vector quantity. It has both magnitude and direction. It is path-dpendent it does not change according to the path taken. The value of displacement can be negative, positive or even zero. In some special cases displacement can decrease over time. The formula of the displacement is displacement= velocity*time.
Properties of displacement:
There can be so many properties of displacement. Some of them are listed below:
1.Displacement is a vector quantity.
2. Displacement is path-independent.
3. The displacement between two point canbe negative, positive,or,zero .
4. Displacement is anti-symmetric,etc.